APRIL 2023: JOB VACANCY – MONITORING, EVALUATION & LEARNING OFFICER
Position: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Reports to: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Co-ordinator
Location: Keta, Volta Region
Friends of the Nation, an independent non-state, not-for-profit organization with over 30 years’ experience in socio-environmental advocacy is seeking to recruit a dynamic, resourceful, and results-oriented Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Officer , preferably young and energetic persons (not above 35yrs) to work with its constituents in the Volta and Greater Accra Regions
The MEL Officer will assist the MEL Unit of Friends of the Nation to organize and manage the archiving system and ensure MEL data collected from all project activities are appropriately entered, labeled, stored in a structural manner and maintained up-to-date on physical and electronic data storage system. Other responsibilities will include providing support and oversight to subcontractors and grantees responsible for data collection to ensure compliance with the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan including Friends of the Nation technical staff. This includes preparation of data collection forms for field activities, entering data into the appropriate database software or platform, conducting analysis, developing, and maintaining procedures for data collection, data management and data quality control and developing reports.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
The responsibilities of the MEL Officer shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Assist the MEL Team of Friends of the Nation in developing and update of tools and forms for collecting, analyzing, and reporting MEL data for performance indicators and results.
- Ensure the correct use of data collection tools and forms and provide training to staff, where needed.
- Work with constituents/communities to ensure that regular monitoring is carried out locally, where necessary.
- Proactively ensure regular gathering of data and supporting documents from the project staff, grantees, sub-contractors, and partners and ensure that all data collected from activities are entered in the MEL Database system in a timely manner.
- Undertake physical and electronic archiving of all supporting documents in compliant with Friends of the Nation filing requirements.
- Conduct regular data review and cross-check physical archiving and electronic system to ensure consistency and maintain overall data integrity.
- Contribute to the data quality and integrity by conducting remote spot-checks, investigate any data deficiencies, and provide timely feedback to the staff on data quality issues such as accuracy and completeness so it will be corrected on time.
- Support the MEL team to undertake periodic internal Data Quality Assessments (DQA) of projects and external data quality assessment by partners.
- Contribute to and participate in partners progress and annual report annual work planning processes.
Education: bachelor’s degree in monitoring and evaluation, development management, computer science, project management, geography and environmental science, fisheries science, or relevant qualifications.
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation, program design, data collection and management.
- Experience working on monitoring and evaluation with USAID or international non-governmental organizations.
- Experience in the design or management of monitoring database.
- Good knowledge of filing and archiving of MEL supporting documents.
- Strong knowledge in the use of Microsoft Excel and relational database software (Microsoft Access, Airtable, etc) and statistical software (SPSS) with some experience on USAID and EU MEL systems
- Proven experience in qualitative and quantitative research and in data analysis and visualization.
Language: Advanced level in English. Ability to speak Ewe or akan is a plus.
Female qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.