Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining
Home || what we do || Research & Knowledge transfer || Artisanal and Small Scale Mining
- Working closely with UMaT, identify and design tailored mercury-free process workflows for extracting gold based specific types of ores in selected mining District of Ghana.
- Develop training modules for introducing mercury-free workflows for specific types of ores in the select mining Districts of Ghana.
- Strengthen the capacity of 100 miners to implement mercury-free workflows for specific types of gold-bearing ores.
- A science-based report produced on the mineralogy and metallurgic properties of specific gold-bearing ores in selected mining districts.
- Artisanal and small-scale miners trained on mercury-free workflows for ASGM operations in select mining districts.
- Capacity of Field officers from Ghana’s Environmental Protection Agency, the Minerals Commission, members of non-governmental mining organisations, and members of the Ghana National Association of Small Sale Miners (GNASSM) strengthened on research methods on the mineralogy and metallurgic properties of gold bearing ores and design tailored mercury-free mineral processing workflows.
- Identified the mineralogy and metallurgical properties of several different types of gold-bearing ores (based on UMaT’s scientific, academic, and technical guidance)
- In conjunction with UMaT’s research, designed tailored mercury-free mineral processing workflows focused on different types of ores.
- Introduced and promoted the ‘Sika Bukyia’ a direct smelting kit for the recovery of gold without the use of mercury to miners , in order to improve mineral recovery and enhance safety practices
- Developed training module for artisanal and small-scale miners based on differing metallurgic and mineralogic characteristics identified ores.
- Trained over 100 artisanal and small-scale miners (through classroom and field demonstration at mining sites) on mercury-free mineral processing workflow based on characteristics of their ores.