Artisanal and Smail Scale Mining
Home || Artisanal and Smail Scale Mining
Generally, miners commonly operate in a weak legal and regulatory environment, with a lack of geological data, which manifests in low mineral recovery and wasteful exploration and that discourages investment in the sector. There are also gaps in the oversight of environmental, social, health and safety issues and inadequate technical extension services such as skills training, capacity building, access to technology, finance, appropriate equipment, investment information and market.
Specifically, the organisation’s interventions are in the following areas:
Policy advocacy, research and convening multi-stakeholder dialogues
- Facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues to discuss and proffer innovative and targeted solutions towards formalization of the ASM sector.
- Facilitating field tripsfor policy makers and other stakeholders to interact with miners and communities to understand the site-level field dynamics of key issues in the sector, as well as to capture some of the unheard and marginalised voices.
- Researching on the drivers behind the high number of youth involved in ASM and the key issues they face to assist in the targeting of policies and programs from civil society, government and international donors
- Assisting national government to develop National Action Plans on Artisanal and Small-Scale Gold Mining (ASGM) in accordance with the Minamata Convention on Mercury
Promoting ASM best practices
- Providing technical and innovative solutions to miners in order to improve mineral recovery and enhance safety practices
- Promoting practical solutions for the reduction and elimination of mercury in Artisanal and Small-scale Gold Mining (ASGM)
- Facilitating awareness raising and capacity development to mining communities and stakeholders on mine safety, mercury reduction, formalization, safe environmental and health practices
Providing diversified livelihood options for miners and communities
- Assisting miners and communities in diversifying their opportunities and saving for future post-mining generations
- Facilitating sensitisation workshops on livelihood enhancement and health and safety practices.